The History of Lattimore Hall
In 1861 there was religious revival in St Albans. Visiting evangelists held meetings in a large tent during the summer and in the Town Hall during the winter. Hundreds of people attended the meetings, mainly local farm labourers and their families. They were supported by Christians from many different churches.
In December 1861 the meetings were transferred to an ‘Iron Room’ built especially for the Revival Meetings. Preachers came from different backgrounds – both lay-preachers and clergymen, non-conformists and Anglicans. The meetings continued in the Iron Room until March 1865.
The Iron Room was dismantled, but hundreds were still flocking to the meetings, now held in a tent again. Then in December 1865 a wealthy and philanthropic widow, Mrs Isabella Worley, purchased a large ‘Wooden Room’ in Lattimore Road and the land on which it stood, in order to house the meetings.
The Wooden Room congregation became a church, with a particular outreach to the working classes of the town. The Wooden Room was eventually replaced by the St Albans auction centre, and then more recently by a block of flats. However, on the wall outside there is a plaque which mentions the original building. Although the plaque refers to the 'Plymouth Brethren' the church that met there was never part of the group that are called Plymouth Brethren today.
There is still a church which meets on Lattimore Road, but we now have a permanent building just a few doors down from the original Wooden Room.
The information on this page was taken from Geoffrey Stonier's paper 'The St Albans Revival' (1982)